What We Believe
Providence Baptist Church is founded on an unqualified acceptance of and obedience to the Bible (contained in the thirty-nine books of the Old Testament and twenty-seven books of the New Testament) as the absolute authority in all matters of faith and practice. We believe in:
- The verbal, plenary inspiration, and sufficiency of Scriptures;
- The One, eternally existing and triune God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), Who, as Creator, is totally separate from His creation;
- The creation of all things, including man, by the direct act of God through the agency of His Son, Jesus Christ;
- The incarnation and virgin birth of the God-man, Jesus Christ;
- The physical death of Jesus Christ on the cross;
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the tomb and His ascension to the right hand of the throne of God;
- The personhood of the Holy Spirit: He is a true Person and member of the triune Godhead;
- The inherent depravity of mankind resulting from Adam’s fall (original sin);
- Eternal life (salvation) through the regeneration of the Holy Spirit: obtained by grace alone through faith alone in the shed blood of Jesus Christ.
- In baptism by immersion in water;
- In the celebration of the Lord’s Supper by all obedient believers in Christ;
- In the autonomy of the local church, with Christ as its Head;
- In the existence of a literal Heaven and Hell;
- That Satan is a real person;
- In the bodily resurrection of the dead: the believers being raised to eternal life with Christ, the unbelievers to eternal damnation in Hell
At Providence Baptist Church we understand that corporate worship is an extension of our private devotional life as we strive to please God in all that we do. Therefore, we value music and worship that unites the congregation in ascribing the glory and eternal worth due our great Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Providence Baptist Church stands unashamedly for a biblical approach to music and worship that is doctrinally rich and heartfelt in presentation.
Our worship, then, is participatory in nature: not to be viewed as entertainment. The formation of choirs, quartets, and various instrumental and vocal groups is encouraged for the purpose of making spiritually rich, joyful, and lyrically harmonious music unto the Lord for the edification of His church.
Because we love and value families so highly, we strive to do all within our power to meet their needs during Sunday school and worship services.
We have qualified teachers and helpers to care for the younger children.
Youth and Family
The leadership of Providence Baptist Church is fully committed to teaching and promoting God’s order for church (Eph. 4:11-12) and family relationships (Eph. 6:4). Our vision includes instruction of parents to teach and train their children. As a result, youth activities will often be led by fathers with the assistance of their wives. This will be accomplished primarily by supplementing home activities with additional opportunities for discipleship and growth through prayer, Bible study, evangelism, education, and community service.
We realize there are many broken and hurting families in our community. Therefore, we are committed to loving, encouraging, and helping single parents and their children. Because the integrity of marriage is important to God, reconciliation and restoration are our primary objectives. Nevertheless, even in those situations where this is not possible we strive always to embrace and welcome into active fellowship and service those with humble hearts seeking to love, serve, and obey Christ.
By the grace of God and in His providence as PBC grows and matures, we desire to be involved in the following areas of ministry as a minimum:
- Community Evangelism
- Biblical Counseling
- Campus Ministry
- Addictions Recovery Ministry
- Jail Ministry
- Rescue Mission Ministry
- Retirement Home Ministry
- Adult Assisted Living Ministry
- Hospital Visitation
- Seaport Ministry
- Missionary Support
Meet the Pastor
Duane Smith and his wife, Doris, are long-time residents of Whatcom County, Washington. From their arrival in 1994 until August 2011, Duane worked at Christenson, VECO, and CH2MHill as a mechanical engineer and senior program manager in the oil-refining industry. Born in Walla Walla, Washington, Duane graduated from the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland before being commissioned into the United States Marine Corps where he earned the rank of Captain. It was at USNA that Duane came to know Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Savior.
In August 2011, sensing a call to the pastorate, Duane enrolled in seminary at Bob Jones University in Greenville, SC. He completed a Master of Divinity degree in August 2015. Ordained in June 2016, Pastor Duane’s goal is to bring help and hope to many of the hurting people in America through preaching the good news of Jesus Christ, Savior of all who will believe.
Doris Araújo Smith was born in Poncé, Puerto Rico to medical doctors. Coming to know Christ as a young child in California, she is a graduate of Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois, where she majored in literature. Doris enjoys music, teaching children, getting to know people, and engaging them in meaningful conversation. The Smiths have four married sons and seventeen grandchildren.